Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 1 - Diaphanous

I got my e-mail first thing this morning, and knew that this would be a challenge: I was home today with a day off from work, so I would be interacting with hardly anyone! After running errands this afternoon and a fabulous annual exam at the doctor's office (fun!) I headed home, wondering how I would use 'diaphanous' in a conversation with David and/or Taylor. Once I was home, and starting to make dinner, I came up with a way to use it...it wasn't particularly interesting, but it did make sense:

I asked Taylor to please look at her curtains sometime this weekend and check for a tag that might have laundering instructions: "Your curtains are still fairly diaphanous, and the light is still coming through them, but because the window was open all summer, lots of dirt and dust came in and the curtains are really dirty."

As soon as I said the word, David is making faces at me behind Taylor's back, and as Taylor offers to go up to her room to check the curtains, David says "Wait a minute....Taylor did you understand anything that Jennifer just said in that paragraph, because I didn't.." (he did understand, but he was trying to point out my desperate attempt to use my word of the day). Taylor hadn't really caught the word so I told her 'Diaphanous' and also explained its meaning and the derivation (and that it is from the same root as in the word 'phantom'). I spilled the beans to Taylor about my blog, and what I was doing, all the while David was chuckling to himself. I retorted that last night he was all for this, and now he is making fun of my attempt. I also told him that I realized one more rule of this blog/challenge:

3. David cannot ask me what the Word of the Day is, he'll have to wait to either be a part of the conversation or I can tell him about it after the fact (I'm sure he'll be waiting with baited breath).
That's the post for today; I am hoping that future posts will be a bit more engaging and entertaining...done.

No comments:

Post a Comment