Thursday, December 24, 2009

Day 6 - Clinquant

Oh, I thought I would be able to use this word earlier in the day, especially since it was the day before Christmas Eve, and everything is so beautiful and lit up. But then there's the pronunciation of the word...and that made me nervous: \KLING-Kunt\
So, once again it took me until the end of the day, while I was home, to use this word. I made a comment about our tree, and particularly that I really like our glittery, sparkly ornament. "The tree is clinquant with light, and it looks so pretty." David looked at me. "What was that word again?" "Clinquant" I replied...not quite pronouncing it correctly. "Tlingit?" David asked. "No, Clinquant, it's French for shimmery or glittered with gold and silver." "I think you made that one up", David responded, "And I don't think you know how to pronounce it correctly." I made a face, and told him again that it is a French word and I did not make it up. "Are you always going to make fun of my words?" I asked him. "Probably" was his response.

No comments:

Post a Comment